Every year her school participates in the Reflections contest that is sponsored by the PTA. It's a national thing with the first round being local. This year's theme was, "Together we can."
Last week Megan brought home a sealed envelope for me that told me that she won but until today I had no idea in what area (there are six and she entered in two of them) and in what place she came in. The two areas she entered in were literature and visual arts. The letter also said to keep it a surprise so Megan had no idea that she was a winner, well, that is until this afternoon.
They started with literature and I had my camera ready just in case she won in that category. In past years she has never placed at all in this category so I wasn't too hopeful though I did think her piece this year was well written. They called Honorable Mention...nope...wasn't her. There was another Honorable Mention, once again, not her. Third place was called and still not her. Then, for 2nd place, they announce Megan's name. Wow! My girl that struggles to write sometimes won 2nd place! She had a huge grin on her face. Here she is reading the first paragraph of her entry.
A side view of her posing with the rest of the winners. I could have gotten a better picture if antsy Zach wasn't with me. I was just happy to get any picture that I could with him.
So then they go onto the next category which just happened to be visual arts, the other category Megan entered in. Would you believe she got 2nd place there too? Here she is reading what she wrote on it:
Posing with the rest of the winners in visual arts:
I was totally surprised that she got two medals. I was so surprised that I had to scramble to get my camera back out when her name was called the second time. If I remember right I think she was one of two kids to get more than one medal.
So now her works of art go on to the state competition.
Way to go Megan! I'm so very proud of you!
No comments:
Post a Comment