With it being her senior year Lauren decided not to play travel soccer this year with her team. She didn't want to play for anyone, she just wanted the time off to do whatever she wanted. So why do I have a post about soccer? Because a couple of weeks ago she sought out and joined a different travel soccer team. She's considered a "pool player" and only plays in games when they need her. It's perfect for her because she doesn't have to be committed to her team on a weekly basis but it still gets her some playing time this fall.
Two weeks ago she played in her first game with them, an away game that was in Warminster. She was needed because too many of the girls probably didn't want to make the hour and a half drive! Oh well, it was a nice day and it was just me and her.
They played the number one team in their division and held them off for quite awhile before losing 2-0. Here's a couple pics of her during the game.
She played well and I was glad she got on the team. It gives her a chance to play a game she loves and to also have a little fun since this team isn't nearly as competitive as her old team.
Then she plays her second game with the team this past Sunday. It was a home game so we were happy not to have to travel. We get through the first half uneventful but not too far into the second half Lauren goes to do a header and collides with another girls head instead. Down she goes. Even though I was watching the game and saw it happen (it was kind of boring so I was zoning out) it didn't click that it was Lauren until she was on the ground.
A minute or two go by and the refs are waving us down to the field. It took her a little while to get up and when she did get up she was a little wobbly. After getting her off the field and into the car we headed to the ER. With her previous concussions I didn't want to take any chances. Even though her head hurt (of course!), she was dizzy upon standing and the light hurt her eyes, all classic symptoms of a concussion, the emergency room doc said she didn't have one. They said it was because she passed all her neurological testing with "flying colors." She ended up getting a day off of school yesterday (and so did I since I didn't want to leave her alone) for observation and a nasty looking bump on her forehead. I guess she's okay since she went to school today. I think she dodged a bullet on that one because a concussion was the last thing she needed right now. Now I'm hoping she doesn't play anymore this fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment