Sunday, March 13, 2011

Winter Festival

Megan's school held their winter festival on Friday. This was the third date for it, the first one was cancelled due to snow and the second one was cancelled due to lack of volunteers. If they had waited another week it could have been a spring festival instead.

So I preordered our tickets and off Megan, Zach and I went to the school. (Kristin didn't want to go and Paul and Lauren weren't home yet.) We head straight for the gym where there were several different games the kids could play. Little carnival like games such as knocking down a stack of cans with a ball, picking the right key to unlock a treasure chest, etc... Each game cost either 1 or 2 tickets to play and everyone got a small prize whether they won or not. Zach liked the "lollipop pick" game. You pick a lollipop off of the board and if there's a dot on the end you got a little extra prize. Of course you get to keep the lollipops, that's probably why he liked that game the best!

In the gym there was also the rock climbing wall that you could pay 2 tickets to climb. I think we should invest in one of these for our house because Zach loved it!
You can't tell from the picture but he did a really good job at climbing. At one point he climbed about twice his height. Plus once the kids had their helmets on they could spend as much time as they wanted on it. Once again, I really think we need one at home!

In the cafeteria they had bingo going on, lots of different baskets that were being raffled off and of course food. Zach and I had some pizza and juice/soda for our dinner. I have no idea what Megan ate, I gave her some tickets and she mostly hung out with her friends all night.

The only thing I can comment on about Megan is with the cake walk. They always hold the cake walk in the library and Megan very early in the evening won a cake. She was standing on her lucky number 8 when she won. (She wanted me to mention that.)

Zach did the cake walk at the same time as Megan but didn't win either time he did it. We go back to it after eating our pizza and the second time doing it his number was picked. He was standing on lucky number 7. They both chose their own cakes, neither of which I would have picked if it was my choice (which they pointed out it wasn't). I really tried getting them both to pick something different (like a Serpes bakery cake and a store bought carrot cake) but they were both very insistent on those. Megan chose hers because it had a lot of icing and Zach chose his because it had sprinkles. They both had a piece of their cake when they got home and both of them said they were good. Oh well, guess I didn't need to eat cake anyway!

So for $20 in tickets we ended up with a nice night out with dinner and 2 desserts. Megan graduates from the elementary school this year but Zach starts next year. I guess we have 6 more years of festivals to go. Oh, and by the way, my kids have never won a raffle basket in all the years we have been there which goes all the way back to when Lauren was in kindergarten. Maybe Zach will be the lucky one next year (or hopefully within the next 6 years).

No comments: