Sunday, July 10, 2011

Wilmington Pirate Day

I'm fixated on pirates! First the pirate cruise while on vacation and then yesterday's pirate day event. I figured Zach would like it and thought it would be a fun thing to check out. It was a new event that Wilmington had this year and it took place at the Tubman Garrett Park on the Wilmington Riverfront. It was a nice day, a little hot though. Zach had fallen asleep in the car while we were driving there so he wasn't in the best of moods when we first got there. He's looking a little grumpy in the picture above. Lauren was with a friend at the beach for the day so she missed all the fun.

Of course I couldn't pass up a photo op, Megan didn't want to get in the boat.

I love Zach's face in this one!

Here they are posing in front of the Kalmar Nyckel.
Pirate Day was a free event but some of the activities you had to pay for if you wanted to do them. One was taking a tour of the Kalmar Nyckel which was the one activity I really wanted to do when I read about the event. It wasn't going to happen though. They were only letting a certain amount of people on at a time and the line to get on was very, very long. Some of the other activities that they were charging for was: face painting, pirate tattoos and build your own treasure chest.


When we first got there we saw them fire the cannons which was pretty neat to see. Then we did a family scavenger hunt. We were given a paper and had to answer 10 or so questions by going around and reading all the signs in the park. That was pretty neat. Here's Paul cheating on one of the questions, he looked it up on his phone!
I will give him credit, he knew the answer before he looked it up, he just wanted to make sure. We never did see the sign in the park that gave the answer though.


I had brought Zach's pirate hat with us but because it was hot he didn't want to wear it. I plopped it on his head while he took a water break.
Megan was looking too cute, I had to add this pic of her.
We got done pirate day pretty quickly and tried to think of something to do. We didn't want to go to the zoo, my children's museum membership expired, no one was really hungry yet so we ended up heading back home. Paul surprised the kids by stopping and getting ice cream.
Zach is the king of making silly faces.
We stopped at Acme afterwards to pick up some dinner and then came home and had a nice dinner on our deck. Lauren was done the beach by the time we had dinner.

And that was our Saturday. I don't think there are any more pirate events coming up in the near future. One funny thing I want to end with that Zach said last week after we got back from the pirate adventure at OBX. We were on the beach and I said he was my pirate now, not my little boy. He told me that he wasn't a pirate anymore. I asked him what he was, expecting him to say Zachary or a little boy or something along those lines. He replied, "an old guy." Lol! I'm not sure why he said that unless it was because he still had his moustache painted on. So now I have an old guy for a son!

No comments: