Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weekend Soccer Tournament

So this past weekend Lauren and I went to a soccer tournament near Washington DC.  It was actually in Maryland but Lauren kept telling everyone it was in Virginia.  I guess that sounded cooler!  (Though to her defense we were really close to the MD/VA border.)  We rode down with another mom and soccer player.  Lauren was getting bored in the car and borrowed my camera to take some pics during the 2 hour car ride. 

We went straight to the soccer fields because they had a 4:00 game which they unfortunately lost.  After the game we drove to the hotel to check in and luckily got adjourning rooms.  (The girls asked and insisted on this when we were checking in at the front desk.)  It was neat though since we could keep the doors open between the rooms and it felt like we had a suite instead.   Next it was off to find somewhere to eat.  There was a mall a few miles down the road that had a variety of places and the girls settled on the restaurant that had the shortest wait time, Dave & Buster's.  
I can't really say that the food was that good but us moms got the Purple People Eater as a drink and that was so good that we ended up getting two!  Good thing we had two 16-year-old drivers with us.  :)  Of course with being at Dave & Buster's we had to let the girls play some of the games so after dinner we got them each a card.  That was their weekend entertainment.  I about had a heart attack when the bill came.  Between the food, the drinks, the kids non-alcoholic versions and the game cards it was more than what our family of 6 would have spent!  Of course the game cards were on there so I guess it wasn't that bad.  Food, drinks and entertainment all on one bill.

We got back to the hotel room and went to sleep but not before getting one last picture.  This was taken with Lauren's cell phone.
There were 2 games on Sunday but the first one didn't start until 2:45.  Yay, we got to sleep in!  When everyone finally did get up we checked out of our hotel and went looking for somewhere to have breakfast.  We found a wonderful pancake house that had delicious food.  We talked about that pancake house all day!  We then went back to the mall so the girls could cash in their Dave & Buster's points they accumulated the night before.  Of course we had to shop and walk the mall too.
With shopping done and the points being spent we headed over to the soccer fields.  Finally, here's a few pictures from the games on Sunday.  Not sure which game these are from, they had a 2:45 game and a 5:00 game.

Lauren doing a questionable header.  She looks awfully close to that girls' head.


She had a breakaway here but took one too many steps and the goalie saved it.

I never get pictures of her coming towards me, I thought this was a neat shot.

They lost the 2:45 game but won the 5:00 game.  With only one out of 3 wins they were done and didn't advance to the finals on Monday.  Good thing since she had school!  Would we have stayed if her team made it?  Probably.  There were college coaches watching the girls so I wouldn't have wanted her to miss that.   But I was secretly happy that we went home Sunday night since I had off Monday and all the kids had school.   I got to enjoy one whole day by myself, I don't know when that's happened last. 

Weekend soccer tournaments that require a hotel are fun and this one was no exception.  Of course I had great company and lots of laughs.  Can't wait for the next one!  (Well...yeah, I actually can.)  I can only take so much fun in one season.  :)

No comments: