Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Trip to the Children's Museum

This just opened this past spring and I've been wanting to take the kids to it. It's mostly geared towards Zach's age with Megan being the oldest that would enjoy it. There were 4 of us: Zach, Megan, Kristin and myself.

The first thing you come to is this big climbing structure that Zach LOVED! It was pretty neat too, here's just one of the many pictures I took while him and Megan were inside.

There are different exhibits that you explore. Kristin found one that tells you how much water you use during a 10 minute shower. I told her to multiply that by 3 since she takes such long ones.
There's an area that has all different types of blocks and little construction worker outfits.

In "The Power of Me" exhibit one of the things you could do was a rock wall. There were different games you could play with it but my kids just wanted to climb.


This was a human sized puzzle. You were supposed to press start then race to put all the pieces in before the buzzer went off. It was like a cross between the two games Operation and Perfection because when the buzzer went off the pieces popped out.

Also in "The Power of Me" exhibit there was a boat you could row to get your heart rate up. There's a screen in front of you that shows you going down the river.

Kristin kept saying she wanted to go in the money room, she was referring to the "Bank on It" exhibit. There she found this stock market game that she loved. Paul would be so proud. She even went back to it later and played it while Zach and Megan did something else that's how much she liked it.

Zach looked like he liked the abacus that was made out of money but I think he was just trying to figure out how to take the money off!
There was a mini tree house and next to it was a whole bunch of foam bricks. You were supposed to finish the house. With the look on her face I just had to post this picture!

Kristin got a little creative...she made stairs!
This boat didn't do anything, I think it was supposed to since there was a screen but it just stayed blank. Zach loved it anyway. After taking this picture he had both Kristin and I sit down on the bench so he could take us all to the park.
They even got to go fishing. There was another place above them that they could fish from too and then you could sort your fish into different bins: "Catch and Release," "Dinner," "Trash," and "Recycle." I was wondering about the trash and recycle bins until Kristin caught a soda can and a boot!

Here comes Zach's second favorite area, the interactive stream table. Here he is playing with just one area of it. You could rearrange the plastic rectangles to make mazes for the boats. You could also block the water from coming down thus creating a nice pool of water.

I finally got him out of there and we went to check on Kristin, she had snuck back over to play the stock market game. There was no one at the lemonade stand so Zach made me lots of lemonade. There was a little cash register too and after making me my lemonade he charged me $40 for my glass. It was really good lemonade too for $40!
I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get them out of there. It was a huge hit, even Kristin found things to do which was a surprise. It was such a hit that I texted Paul about getting a yearly membership. If I bought it that day I could apply our tickets towards it. I got approval :) so that was a done deal. I bought the membership while Zach and Megan climbed the "Stratosphere" again. So if anyone wants to go see what the museum is like let us know, either Paul or I have to be there but we can take any 3 people we want.

No comments: